Have you recently found mold in your home or business? Most people don’t know what to do when they find mold, so they either try to remove it themselves or even leave it alone. But, mold, depending on the species, is dangerous to humans and pets. So, it’s important to know what to do about mold when you spot it. Find out what to do whenever you see mold growing in spaces where you spend time to protect yourself, your family, your employees, and/or your pets from the potential dangers of mold.
Some Things to Know About the Mold You Found
Before you understand what to do about mold you’ve found in a space you’re living or working in, it’s important to understand a few things about mold. Mold:
- grows quickly. It takes only 1 to 2 days for mold to start growing and even spread to other areas
- can affect different people differently. Dangerous types of mold are most threatening to those with impaired immune systems, the elderly, and infants
- can promote various symptoms. These can include muscle and body aching, joint pain, breathing and other respiratory issues, and nausea
- can be hard to detect. It likes to grow in dark places, so it’s likely that you may find it in places like your walls, under flooring, and attic spaces
- is challenging to remove. Using household cleaning products isn’t enough to remove mold. This is why you shouldn’t attempt to get rid of mold on your own. Hiring a mold remediation specialist is the only way to ensure that mold you’ve seen is removed effectively so that no more mold spreads and grows.
See Mold? Here’s what You Need to Do
There are a few things you can do when you spot mold to keep you and those around you safe. Some things to do when you see mold include:
- stay away from the affected areas
- turn off anything that promotes airflow like fans and the HVAC unit
- get in touch with mold remediation experts like A Plus Mold Remediation to tackle the mold issue once and for all
See Mold? Here’s What You Shouldn’t Do
Since trying to remove mold yourself can lead to further issues down the road and being exposed to mold can be dangerous, there are a few things you shouldn’t do when you notice mold. Don’t:
- try to remove mold yourself with household cleaning items (even bleach)
- touch the mold or remain in its presence
- turn on air purifiers, fans, or a/c units in any area mold may be growing
- use any cleaning items to attempt to remove or kill mold
What to do About Mold? Contact the Experts
Only the experts can understand the type of mold that you’ve noticed growing in your home or another area, identify if it’s dangerous, and use effective methods to both remove mold and ensure it won’t regrow. Additionally, mold removal experts have equipment that works to protect humans from mold exposure during the remediation process. And, equipment used to identify and address the reason that mold is growing in the first place (leaking windows, HVAC units, and more). So, if you think mold is growing in your home or place of business because you’ve either seen it or smelled it, contact the specialists today.