Mold isn’t just ugly and nasty-looking. It doesn’t just ruin books or spread a terrible odor around a room. It’s not simply something that lets you know that your food is too old to eat. Mold doesn’t only tell you that your carpet or furniture got too wet. Although mold does all of these things, there is more. Mold can affect everyone who is exposed to it. It can create problems for everyone who inhales air where mold spores are floating. Those who happen to hang out where mold likes to relax can get very sick. This includes your kiddos. Children can definitely be impacted by mold exposure. The signs of mold exposure might differ, depending on each individual’s health status. Nonetheless, it’s important to know how mold can affect people who are exposed to it.
Common Signs of Mold Exposure
When kids are exposed to mold, they may show a couple of different signs. Sometimes, the signs of mold exposure can be very similar to allergy or cold symptoms. This might be why some individuals don’t realize that there is probably a mold problem. But, it’s also why we should check into things if any of these symptoms appear. One of the common signs of mold exposure is nasal congestion. If your child has a stuffy nose, you might think of it as a sign of the common cold. But, it could very well be a sign that there is mold growing somewhere close by.
Coughing and sneezing are also common symptoms that come with being exposed to mold. Again, these are common bodily reactions to colds and allergies. However, your child could actually be suffering from an allergic reaction to mold spores. So, it’s definitely important to look further into these symptoms. If your child has asthma, you might notice some respiratory problems. It’s true that even children who don’t have asthma can also experience breathing trouble when they’ve been around mold. But, because occasional breathing problems may occur when a child lives with the effects of asthma, you may not notice that something else could be causing the irritation. So, whether or not your child deals with this lung condition, you should find out what’s causing the respiratory issues.
Other signs of mold exposure in children might include: sore throat, irritation of the skin, headaches, nausea, and vomiting. Of course, you may not see all of these signs in your child if he or she has been around mold. But, pay close attention if you see any of them come up. These symptoms just might indicate that you have a mold problem in your home.
When There’s Mold in Your House
Remember, mold may not always be visible to you. In fact, it can make you sick before you even see any sign of it. It can affect those who are around it without even being seen. However, if you do see mold growing in your home, you should act quickly! It’s not enough to simply treat the mold on the surface. There could be mold growing beneath or behind the surface. So, the best way to take care of a mold problem is to call in the professionals!
Here at A Plus Mold Remediation Inc., we know that you value the safety of your family. We know that your kids’ health is important to you. So, we work to make sure your house is free from the dangers of toxic mold. If you think or know that you’ve got a problem with mold in your home, don’t wait any longer. Contact us today to find out how we can help!