Is Living with Black Mold Dangerous to Health?


Do you think you have mold? We urge you to give us a call: (561) 247-3506


If you have noticed black mold in your home or business, you may be wondering if it’s absolutely necessary to have it removed. Or, if it is really a danger to health. Learning the truth about living with black mold can help to prevent serious side effects and find effective options in eliminating it.

What is Black Mold?

Black mold is also referred to as its scientific term, Stachybotrys chartarum. It’s the type of mold most commonly reported and also the most famous for its dangerous reputation. It’s usually greenish-black in color and slimy, due to water absorption of the mold. However, if it no longer has access to water, it could dry out and become a black, powdery substance. Because many other molds may look exactly like black mold, it’s only possible to tell that you’re living with black mold if it is tested.

Is Black Mold Toxic to Health?

Yes, black mold is dangerous to humans. Stachybotrys chartarum is considered toxic because it releases toxins known as mycotoxins. These toxins can result in a number of serious side effects if breathed in by humans such as:

  • Skin rash/inflammation
  • Respiratory conditions
  • Internal organ damage
  • Exhaustion
  • Nausea/vomiting
  • Immune health depletion
  • Inflammation of mucous membrane
  • Hemorrhage

The longer individuals are exposed to black mold, the higher their risk of contracting some type of illness or experience side effects. In some cases, individuals have to spend days in the hospital and receive treatment. Others have even died from the effects of black mold. So, it’s never to be taken lightly when you find out you’re living with black mold.

What Should I do if I’m Living with Black Mold?

If you’ve noticed black mold in your home or place of business, never try to remove it on your own. Without the proper equipment and knowledge, you could be affected by the dangers of this toxic mold. And, without proper removal, black mold will grow back and keep affecting you and the ones you love. So, it’s important to invest in professional assistance for the removal of black mold.

Why is Black Mold Growing in my Home?

Black mold can grow in almost every corner of the world. That’s because all it needs to thrive in warm, wet conditions. When found outdoors, black mold usually grows inside of soil. But, inside, black mold grows in damp, dark places. So, it’s mostly found in places out of sight like behind drywall, under stair closets, on ceilings, and any other dark, secluded areas. Also, it’s important to note that black mold cannot grow unless it has access to water for some time. In most cases, black mold can be found where there is a water leak or ineffective drainage.

Inspection and Testing of Black Mold

To determine which type of mold is actually affecting your home or business, it’s important to have an inspection and testing done. An inspection is vital to make sure that your home or business isn’t affected by mold where you may not have already seen it. And, testing is important to identify the type of mold you’re living with and the most effective way of removal.

Living with Black Mold in Your Home or Business?

If you have seen what looks like black mold, the more you wait, the more you and your family or coworkers are at risk for developing debilitating, sometimes fatal health conditions. So, it’s vital to seek professional help. If you’re looking for experienced, licensed, and industry-specific professional mold remediation, A Plus Mold Remediation Inc. can help! Contact us today to learn more about how to get a free, no-obligation estimate for our mold removal services!