Especially here in South Florida, our AC units run year-round. This means that they circulate all the air in our homes constantly. And pick up all the dust, bacteria, and otherwise all year long. So, they’re bound to get dirty and need a cleaning every once in a while. But, how often should you clean your air ducts exactly? And, what’s the easiest way to go about doing so when it’s needed?
How Often Should You Clean Your Air Ducts?
First thing’s first, how often should you clean your air ducts? Here at A Plus Mold Remediation Inc., we tell our clients that they should get their air ducts professionally cleaned every 4 to 5 years. However, there are certain factors that can make cleaning air ducts even more frequently a good idea.
Factors to Consider to Determine how Often to Clean Your Air Ducts
Some things can make air ducts even dirtier throughout time. So, these things will also require homeowners to clean their air ducts sooner. People who should consider cleaning their air ducts more often include:
- People who are more susceptible to sickness. The air in your home can circulate things that can lead to sickness like bacteria and mold spores. So, people with weaker immune systems need to live in environments that have clean air. People who are more susceptible to sickness may include infants, elderly adults, people with allergies, and people with asthma.
- People who have pets. If you have a pet or pets, you should consider cleaning your air ducts more often than every 4 or 5 years. That’s because pets release hair, fur, and dander throughout the air. And, these particles can be sucked into your air conditioning units and get stuck, making your ducts dirtier faster.
- People who have high humidity levels in their homes. If you feel that your home’s air may hold moisture, it’s a good idea to get your ducts cleaned more often. This is because high humidity provides a pristine environment for mold growth.
- People who have recently had construction done inside the home. Home renovations can kick up lots of dust. And, this dust can circulate throughout the air in a home for many months. So, if you’ve recently had a home renovation done, it’s a good idea to consider air duct cleaning.
- People who live in areas of high outside levels of air debris. Outside debris can get inside your home by way of the air. So, if you live in a place with elevated air pollution, dirt roads, or constant construction, it may be in your best interest to get your air ducts cleaned more often.
Why Consider Professionals for Air Duct Cleaning?
If you don’t know your way around your air ducts, it might be a good idea to leave the cleaning up to the professionals. This way, the cleaning of your air ducts is conducted safely and effectively. During the professional cleaning of your air ducts, you can expect:
- The inspection of your ducts to determine which tools and products may be required in the process.
- Protect the furniture in the home with plastic coverings.
- Brushing any caked-on debris inside the inner workings of the ducts.
- Vacuuming of the insides of the ducts.
- Identifying any dampness and replacing any affected insulation.
- Sealing and insulating of the clean ductwork.
Choosing a Professional Duct Cleaning Company
If you’re searching the question, “how often should you clean your air ducts?”, you may not have had your air ducts cleaned in a while. So, if you’re in South Florida, consider the professionals at A Plus Mold Remediation Inc. for your air duct cleaning. To learn more about the process and get your quote for air duct cleaning, contact us today!