Moldy Messes: Exploring The Effects of Mold on Your Kids


Do you think you have mold? We urge you to give us a call: (561) 247-3506


Ah, mold. It makes us all sick. Literally. Indoor mold can have some negative effects on people who are exposed to it. These effects can be mild or more extreme. Either way, it doesn’t take long to start feeling the effects of mold on your body. This is one of the reasons why it’s so very important to remediate mold as soon as possible. Remember that having mold growths in your house can impact everyone. That includes you. That includes your spouse. It also includes your pets. And, it involves your kids.

Before You Spot the Mold

In most cases, people experience the effects of mold before they even see a mold growth in their home. This is because our bodies can be impacted by mold spores, which are far too small to see. Since these spores are around before the physical appearance mold, we can get sick before we know what hit us. This is especially true for children. The effects of mold are never great. But, they may be even worse for your kids.

Often, the effects of mold on our bodies might show themselves in symptoms that resemble signs of a cold. Or, you might liken them to allergy signs. So, if you see any of these signs in your kids, you may want to keep a close eye on them and check for growing mold in your house. Some of the effects of mold might be:

  • Coughing
  • Sneezing
  • Trouble breathing (wheezing, shortness of breath etc.)
  • Sore throat
  • Runny nose
  • Skin irritation (i.e. rash)
  • Headaches
  • Congestion
  • Eye irritation (watery, redness, etc.)
  • Fatigue

Not all of these signs will be present in your child. You may see just a few of them. But, if they persist, you should look into it. Your child might be experiencing the effects of mold. And, if your kids are exposed to the mold for a long time, the symptoms may do more than just persist. They may get worse and lead to even more problems. One other thing to keep in mind is that mold can irritate already existing conditions. If your child has asthma, mold can worsen that condition in your little one.

Treating the Effects of Mold

So, what if you’ve found out that your kids are dealing with the effects of mold? What should you do? The first thing to do is get your little ones out of the house. Try to get out of that air as quickly as you can. Chances are that if your kiddos are feeling it, so are you. So, your whole family may need to hang out elsewhere for a bit. Next up is a doctor’s visit. Don’t try to treat the effects of mold and symptoms of mold exposure without some professional guidance. Your family doctor may prescribe some kind of medication to help ease the symptoms. Be sure that your family gets rest. This gives your bodies time and strength to recover.

And, after you’ve taken the precautions to get out of harm’s way, there’s one more thing you should do. You’ll need to get rid of the mold in your house. But, while you’re getting a little rest from all of the chaos, call A Plus Mold Remediation Inc. We’ll take care of all of that mold growth for you so you don’t have to worry anymore. If you think you might have mold in your home, don’t wait. Pick up the phone and contact the professionals here at A Plus Mold Remediation Inc. Let’s make sure you and your family stop feeling the effects of mold.