What is indoor mold? Do I have some in my house? Is there mold growing in my office? How can I tell if it’s there? And how did it even get there? Can I get rid of it? How do I do that? Is this mold the reason I’m sick? What should I do to prevent it from growing in my home again? Questions, questions, questions! When there is a possible health risk or the possibility of house damage, people get worried. It’s understandable and probably a good good thing. You should definitely be thinking about ways to improve your living conditions and take care of yourself. Let’s try to get some of these indoor mold FAQ’s answered!
What is Indoor Mold? and Other Questions
Indoor mold is pretty much what it sounds like; it’s mold that grows inside of a building. But, to be more specific, indoor mold is a type of fungus. It can grow anywhere the conditions are right, including inside and outdoors. Molds grow best in areas that are warm and moisture. They spread by reproducing mold spores which can travel through the air. Common types of indoor molds are cladosporium, alternaria, penicillium, and aspergillus.
Mold usually breaks down the matter on which it grows. So, you might find growths on decaying trees or leaves. But indoor mold is something you want to avoid. It’s usually found in areas of the building where there is a lot of humidity. This includes basements, attics, and garages. You could also check under sinks, in the bathtub, and near areas where food is kept. Mold could easily grow in places like these.
Mold can make people very sick. People who have asthma can have some problems when they come in contact with this harmful fungus. Others might have symptoms like:
- Itchy and red eyes
- Itchy skin
- Wheezing and other breathing problems
- Throat irritation
It’s definitely a threat to health. So, frequently checking the building where you work or your home for indoor mold is very important.
How Do I Prevent Indoor Mold Growth
There are things you can do to keep mold from developing in your home or business. For one, if there is any water damage, you should do your best to remove all of the water. Remember, moisture is one the perfect conditions for mold growth. Also, try to make sure that the air in your home isn’t stagnant and is free of humidity.
You can also make sure all of the surfaces of the building are kept dry. That includes the walls, floors, and counter spaces. You should also keep furniture and furnishings dry. A wet couch or damp carpets and curtains can produce indoor mold.
In areas that are usually closed up, like the garage, try to allow sunlight in. Every once in a while, open up that garage door and let some fresh air and sunshine in. This will help control the level of humidity and dry up some of the moisture that might be inside of the area.
Letting The Professionals Help
So, what if you’ve found mold in your house? If there is visible mold growth somewhere in your house, chances are there is more growth somewhere else. How do you get rid of it? Easy. Call the professionals at A Plus Mold Remediation Inc.! We know how to deal with this fungus and we specialize in getting it out of your home or business–all of it. We can also provide assistance with air quality testing to check your building for any mold spores or other harmful particles that may be floating around. Don’t hesitate! Call us today!